This is a weekly column that looks at the best defenses to chase throughout each week of the season. The goal is to give you a few defenses that should be available in your league that will give you an advantage at the defensive position each week.
Last week we focused on one matchup and it yielded pretty good results on either side of the ball. This week
Play of the Week:
49ers (@LAR): The 49ers will get to play against almost entirely a group of backups for the Rams. It should be a low scoring game with some turnovers.
Colts (v. HOU): The Colts haven’t been great this season but they face a struggling offense this week in the Texans.
Redskins (@NYG): The Redskins face the Giants, who have struggled all year on offense.
Revisiting Last Week:
Bears (v. CLE): The Bears finished with 11 points on the day after allowing just 3 points, had 2 INTs, a fumble recovery, and had 1 sack.
Browns (@ CHI): The Browns had 7 fantasy points as they gave up 20 points but had 5 sacks.
Pipe Dream: (Team we wish we picked up)
Redskins (v. DEN): This should have been our play and we would have been rewarded with 13 fantasy points. Yet, we managed to do pretty well.
We got to put our money where our mouth is, so here is how we have done so far this season!
- Week 1: Rams D vs. Colts= 27 points
- Week 2: Ravens D vs. Browns= 16 Points
- Week 3: Dolphins D vs. Jets= 4 Points
- Week 4: Lions D @ Min= 11 points
- Week 5: Bears D v. Min= 6 Points
- Week 6: Skins D v. SF= 5 Points
- Week 7: Cowboys D v. SF= 15 Points
- Week 8: Browns D v. Min= 4 Points
- Week 9: 49ers D v. Ari= 4 Points
- Week 10: Pats D v. Den= 14 Points
- Week 11: Chargers D v. BUF= 25 Points
- Week 12: Redskins D v. NYG= 13 Points
- Week 13: Packers D v. TB= 15 Points
- Week 14: Jets D v. DEN= 4 Points
- Week 15: Saints D v. NYJ- 6 Points
- Week 16: Bears D v. CLE= 11 Points
- Total = 180 Points
Our 180 points total would make our “Chasing Defense” teams rank as the #2 defense in the league. We are now just 1 point behind the Jaguars. Which means that we finished the regular season as the #2 defense in the league, just 3 points behind the Jaguars.
We will continue into the playoffs and see how we finish!