by Chris Foster
If you have been “Chasing Defenses” all year with us here at NoHuddleFFB, then you are probably pretty satisfied with your results. The goal was to give you a few defenses that should be available in your league, typically owned by 20% or less, that gave you an advantage at the defensive position each week.
Typically, the first defenses off the board in a fantasy football draft go somewhere between the 8th-12th round. Those are prime rounds in your draft in which you need to be building depth for your fantasy team. What we have done is give you a solution, don’t waste the pick on a top defense, but instead take a player that will help you win. Then, just follow our lead here at NoHuddleFFB, and we will provide you with those matchups that we think are favorable and give you the best defense to play each week.
If you followed along with us all season and made the exact plays that we chose each week, then you would have finished with the 2nd best defense in your fantasy league!! We finished with the 2nd best defense in the league in both the regular season (through week 13) and through the entire playoffs. The goal of “Chasing Defense” is that when your opponent took a top defense that you would capitalize on having that extra pick in the 8th-12th round that your opponent used on a defense.
The only defense that was better this season was Jacksonville. They likely went undrafted in your league, therefore, if you could have snagged them in week 1, then you could have kept them all year and had the best defense in the league. Just another reason not to waste a pick on a defense. Denver, Minnesota, Houston, Kansas City, New England, Seattle, New York (Giants) and Arizona were all taken from rounds 8-12 in fantasy drafts this past year and all finished below our chasing defense team.
Check out below how we did in Week 17 and then check out our chart below that lists our plays week by week and then compares it to your competitors who just kept their top defenses that they drafted.
Season Long Running Total:
We got to put our money where our mouth is, so here is how we finished this season.
- Week 1: Rams D vs. Colts= 27 points
- Week 2: Ravens D vs. Browns= 16 Points
- Week 3: Dolphins D vs. Jets= 4 Points
- Week 4: Lions D @ Min= 11 points
- Week 5: Bears D v. Min= 6 Points
- Week 6: Skins D v. SF= 5 Points
- Week 7: Cowboys D v. SF= 15 Points
- Week 8: Browns D v. Min= 4 Points
- Week 9: 49ers D v. Ari= 4 Points
- Week 10: Pats D v. Den= 14 Points
- Week 11: Chargers D v. BUF= 25 Points
- Week 12: Redskins D v. NYG= 13 Points
- Week 13: Packers D v. TB= 15 Points
- Week 14: Jets D v. DEN= 4 Points
- Week 15: Saints D v. NYJ- 6 Points
- Week 16: Bears D v. CLE= 11 Points
- Week 17: 49ers D v. LAR= 10 Points
- Total = 190 Points
Our 190 points total would make our “Chasing Defense” teams rank as the #2 defense in the league. We finished just 5 points behind the Jaguars on the season.
Top 10 Season Defensive Totals by Team: (Standard Defensive Leagues)
- Rank- Team- Total Defensive Points
- Jacksonville Jaguars- 195 Points
- Baltimore Ravens- 171 Points <– Our “Chasing Defense” finished with 190 Points!
- Los Angeles Rams- 165 Points
- Philadelphia Eagles- 158 Points
- Detroit Lions- 155 Points
- San Diego Chargers- 144 Points
- New Orleans Saints- 139 Points
- Seattle Seahawks- 134 Points
- Pittsburgh Steelers- 131 Points
- Chicago Bears- 129 Points
According to ADP (Average Draft Position), these teams were all selected before Round 12 of a typical 16 round draft:
- Team- ADP- Final Ranking
- Denver Broncos-102- #18
- Houston Texans-83– #27
- Kansas City Chiefs-118- #12
- Seattle Seahawks-134- #8
- New England Patriots- 114- #13
- Arizona Cardinals- 101- #20
- Minnesota Vikings-106- #15
- New York Giants-83- #27
And finally, these are some of the offensive players you could have taken from rounds 8-14 when those defenses were taken in the 2017 draft.
- Name- ADP= Final Ranking by Position
- Zach Ertz- 8.04= #3 overall TE**
- Kyle Rudolph-8.05= #6 overall TE**
- Ben Roethlisberger- 9.03= #9 overall QB
- Phillip Rivers- 9.06= #7 overall QB
- Jamaal Williams- 9.07= #28 overall RB
- Marvin Jones- 9.08= #5 overall WR**
- Dak Prescott- 9.12= #11 overall QB
- Matt Stafford- 10.06= #6 overall QB**
- Duke Johnson- 10.06- #21 overall RB
- Adam Thielen- 10.09= #11 overall WR**
- Rishard Matthews- 10.11= #37 overall WR
- Ted Ginn Jr.- 11.04=#35 overall WR
- Cooper Kupp- 11.05= #27 overall WR
- Latavius Murray- 11.10= #20 overall RB
- Carson Wentz- 12.01= #8 overall QB**
- Robby Anderson- 13.04= #15 overall WR**
- Alvin Kamara- 13.12= #4 overall RB**
- Dion Lewis- 14.06= #12 overall RB**
- Evan Engram- 14.07= #5 overall TE**
- Alex Smith- 14.12= #3 overall QB**
Those are 20 players who finished as starters at their positions throughout the season that you could have selected instead of selecting a defense with your 8th-14th round pick! That list includes guys that finished in the top 10 and even top 5 of their position and were consistent all year!
If you didn’t buy into “Chasing Defense” this season, then don’t make that same mistake again next year!
Thanks for following and don’t forget you can always hit us up at @No_HuddleFFB on twitter!